Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Homemade baby food

Yum! So far, Sophie has tried rice cereal, avocado, applesauce and acorn squash. Avocado is simple, just smash it with a fork, applesauce is the same stuff that we eat (as long as it's "natural"), but acorn squash takes a little more work. I used kitchen tools that were banished away to the deep, dark unknowns of our cabinets for years. They were thankful to be out.

I went to Trader Joe's to pick up the acorn squash and I cooked it by steaming it until it was soft. It has the texture and color of melon, but with a sweet, nutty smell (that sounds odd).

Next, I used the Cuisinart food processor to puree the acorn squash, along with some milk. Side note: the Cuisinart is the world's loudest method of pureeing your food. Plus I just found out that it contains BPA, so I think that for the next round of baby food, I'm going to use the KidCo food mill.

I portioned out some to feed to Sophie for the next day and froze the rest in an ice cube tray for storage. The next morning, I put the little cubes of acorn squash in a Zip Lock bag, labeled it and looked at it proudly. For good measure, I also showed it to Bryan. Interestingly, the final product looks very similar to the original. Which is a good thing, since I'm feeding this to my baby.


So, less money to the giant baby food companies and the satisfaction of knowing exactly what goes into Sophie's baby food.

1 comment:

Bengchoo said...

Good wholesome food prepared with love by mommy. All natural, healthy & free of preservatives..plus rich with betacarotene.
Thanks mom! ...from Sophie